IMPORTANT PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
Proper preparation of your quilt top and quilt back is essential to a good result, so please read the following instructions carefully!
- The three layers of your quilt will be loaded on the machine independently of one another. Please do not pin or baste them together.
- The batting and backing should measure at least 8" longer and 8" wider than your quilt top. For example, if your quilt measures 60" x 80", the batting and backing should measure at least 68" x 88".
- Press seams well. Be sure the top lies flat. Ripples and puffy places will not necessarily quilt flat. Take care that the borders do not ripple and wave.
- The top should be free of embellishments such as buttons, beads, and crystals.
- Clip all loose threads and be sure the seams have been pressed.
- A row of stay stitching, applied 1/4 inch or less from the edge of the quilt, will prevent stretching and will keep seams that extend to the edges from separating. (Optional - But recommended )
- If your quilt has a definite "HEAD", and you think I might not recognize it, apply a piece of masking tape to identify it.
- You may provide your own batting, or you may purchase from the Top Stitch Quilting. We carry a large variety of batting types including cottons (dark, bleached natural and blends), wools, silks and bamboo. Please check the Batting & Backings page for pricing details. We are glad to help you select a batting that will enhance the final look and feel of your quilt.
- Please trim off the edges before seaming your backing. Sides should be straight, and the backing squared. Your backing should have straight edges, with opposite edges parallel. Corners should be right angles.
- Be aware that is is not possible to center the top over the backing in both directions. A backing with a center monogram, or with a border, is likely to be "off" in the final product.
- Thread used on the back side will be the same as the top thread. (Top and bottom threads that contrast too much will result in the appearance of specks of the opposing color). We carry five full lines of thread from the Superior Thread Company-- King Tut, Omni, Sew Fine, Magnifico and Rainbows along with real thread color charts for each.